Friday, December 25, 2009

Opinion Piece Precis #1- "Who Will Inherit Joel Stein's Kid," by Joel Stein

Joel Stein's 2009 essay, Who Will Inherit Joel Stein's Kid?, explains that people tend to have more in common with their friends or who they associate themselves with than their fanily. Stein just had a son and was contenmplating on who he should label with guradianship over his son if anything was to unexpectedly happen to him or his wife, whether it should be his parents, parent-n-laws, a brother-n-law, or an old college roomate. In the end Stein and his wife chose Stein's old college roommate to be the God-Parents of their son because they had the same views on education, money, discipline, family, etc. Although it didn't seem like it initially, Stein's purpose was to inform his audience that people will most likely have more in common with their friends than their family, and this is not saying that people will necessarily love their friends or associates more than their parents but to point out, people chose who they will befriend or who they will hang out with based on their similarities with each other (for the most part).
http://time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1940678,00.html

Application Question: Why would you pick someone that shares the same views of the world as you as a supppose to someone who was the COMPLETE opposite of you to raise your child in case something was to unexpectadly happen to you and your spouse?

2 comments:

  1. I would pick someone that had the same views as me because I would expect that person or people to raise my kids the way I would if I was alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany, i agree with Tierra. I would pick someone that had the same views as me because I would want my kids to be raised the same way I would if i was alive.

    What do you think ?

    ReplyDelete