Friday, December 25, 2009

"The Narrative of Frederick Douglass"

On a scale from 1-10 I would have to say my level of interest for this book would have to be a 7. For the most part I enjoyed reading the narrative and learning the abuse, trials, and tribulations that Frederick and other slaves had to under go and why they became accustomed to it as if it was ideally "normal". While reading this narrative I was able to point out the privileges that I now have and view as a necessity but Frederick didn't have and was able to live without, for instance a bed. On the other hand I did not really like the depth of Frederick's syntax. I had to reread sentences and think about why he wrote some sentences telegraphic (straight forward) and others cumulative. Sometimes I didn't even have a clue of what Frederick was talking about until I asked Tierra or until Ms. Guy went over it in class.
My favorite scene from Frederick Douglass's slave narative was when Frederick tried to escape from Master Covey's plantation and go back to MAster Thomas Auld's plantation. This was funny because in the beginning Frederick did not like being Master Thomas's slave but after he was abused numerous times by Master Covey he wanted his previous master back. Frederick left Master Covey's plantation in hopes of freedom from him and an easier lifestyle as a slave with Master Thomas. Frederick walked about 5 miles to get to Mastser Thomas's plantation all to be sent back because he was under contract to work for Master Covey for a year. Even though this scene was kind of harsh and Frederick was suppose to get a beating for his escape, it was rather hillarious because Frederick actually thought he was going to be finally free from the abusive hands of Master Covey that he dealt with for 6 months.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Tiffany- I am happy to see that you are making your posts in a timely fashion! Keep up the good work. Did you know that you can spellcheck your submissions before posting them? Addittionally, be sure, espcially when posting about your non-fiction text, to be specific and demonstrate that you read the text and are not simply glossing over it. Ms. Guy

    ReplyDelete